top of page
Featured Posts

What documents do we need to sign/lodge in order to get married

Following on from my post yesterday, apart from filling out and lodging a NOTICE OF INTENDED MARRIAGE ( NOIM ) with your celebrant one month prior to your marriage date, there is one more document that needs to be signed PRIOR to your wedding taking place.

This document is called a DECLARATION OF NO LEGAL IMPEDIMENT. This is to be signed as close to the wedding date as possible. This document is signed in front of your celebrant, and you are declaring everything that you have stated to your celebrant up to that point is true and correct.

For instance, you are declaring that you are not in a prohibited relationship, you are over the age of 18, you are not married to another person, and basically that there is no reason that the marriage should not go ahead.

On the day of your wedding, you will sign three documents along with your two witnesses who are over the age of 18, and your celebrant.

This includes a document called " Official certificate to marriage" There are two of these to sign. One is loose leaf, and in my case, the other is in